It’s that time of year again to prepare your home for winter and hopefully prevent pipes bursting from any extreme cold temperatures. What steps can you take now to prepare your home? Below are 10 plumbing maintenance tips:
- Outdoor faucets need to be free of leaks and drips.
- Protect exterior faucets by covering them with Styrofoam or hose bibs.
- Always disconnect your outdoor water hose pipes.
- Any interior shut-off valves connected to outside pipes/faucets need to be turned off and outside pipes/faucet valves opened to prevent freezing.
- Make sure your gutters are free of leaves and debris.
- Make sure all your plumbing pipes in unheated areas are insulated.
- Perform yearly maintenance on water heater by draining/flushing it (this prevents sediment buildup and rust which will lengthen the life of the water heater).
- All indoor faucets and plumbing fixtures (sinks, toilets, showerheads, etc.) should be free of leaks.
- Any gaps where pipes enter the home should be sealed.
- Sump pumps need to be cleaned and insulated in order to prevent malfunction or freezing.
Need help preparing your home for the winter? We will be glad to help! Call Deerman Plumbing Services, LLC at 205-514-6120 to fix any leaks, insulate and pipes, and/or maintenance your water heater. We are licensed and insured, with over 30 years plumbing/gas fitting experience. †