In John 14:6, Jesus says, “. . . I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through me.” Jesus is announcing that He is the one and only!
The WAY. Jesus begins by saying He is the way. He was acknowledging that only through Him does sinful man have access to Almighty God. He is not “a way” to God, He is “the way” to God. There are not many religious avenues to God; there is only “1 Way” to God.
What qualifies Him to make that statement?
- He is the eternal Son of God (John 1:1-2).
- He is God in the flesh (John 1:14).
- He had a supernatural birth (Matthew 1:20-23).
- He lived a sinless life (II Corinthians 5:21).
- He paid the debt for our sin by dying on the cross (Philippians 2:6-11; Romans 6:23).
- He was resurrected (Matthew 28:5-6).
- He ascended back to heaven (Acts 1:9-11).
- He is seated at God’s right hand interceding for us (Romans 8:34).
- He is preparing a place for us and coming back to get us (John 14:2-3).
This qualifies Jesus to be the only way!
The TRUTH. Jesus also said He was the truth. Truth is defined as that which is accurate; pure knowledge without any mixture of error. Truth is that which is factual; honest; real; absolute; having integrity. John 8:32 says, “and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” Without truth you have deception, delusion, deceit, falsehood, fable and fantasy. Jesus is the truth!
The LIFE. Jesus then refers to Himself as the life. John 1:4 says, “In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.” Jesus offers us a new life (II Corinthians 5:17), an abundant, complete life (John 10:10) and eternal life (John 3:16; John 11:25-26).
Let me encourage you to come to Jesus and make Him your personal Savior and Lord! He is the Way, the Truth and the Life. Jesus is the one and only!
Celebrating 28 Years of Service as Exec. Director, Jimmie Hale Mission