As a child I loved the start of a new school year. Fresh notebooks, clean paper, the skill of sharpening your pencil to a perfect point! However, what may be exciting for some children may be upsetting to others facing new teachers, classmates, bus drivers, and schedules. One thing of which we can be sure. The 2021-22 school year will launch a New Normal in education which remains to be defined. More than ever, we need to be aware of what our grandchildren are ‘learning’ in their school settings and support our adult children as they manage decisions concerning their children’s education.
How can a grandparent help? Whether near or far, there is much we can do to encourage and support our grandchildren this school year. The objective is to give our intentional interest and care!
- 1st and foremost- Pray! Consider joining or starting a Moms/Grandmoms in Prayer Group. Go to www.momsinprayer.org for information.
- Volunteer to read in your grandchild’s classroom or school library. Offer to help with a craft or party around a holiday or special event.
- Create a field trip matching what your grandchild is learning. History and science are great subjects to work with like visiting a nearby historical location.
- Learn with them. Find out what they are learning in a history, science, biology, etc. Research further to generate discussion.
- Long distance? Write a book together. Teach them the lost art of letter writing.
- Support your grandchild’s teacher. Send encouraging notes and prayerful thoughts. Offer your help.
- Generate conversation through questions about their friends, teachers, and activities. Be interested!
- Offer help with carpool and afterschool care where you can have one-on-one time with your grandchild. Great resource for car time: backseatbiblenuggets.com.
Our families need us now more than ever as we traverse the educational systems of our culture. The enemy’s attacks against our children will persist to waylay our families and God’s moral foundations Be it homeschool, private or public education, the intentional Christian grandparent has a great deal to contribute to the balance and health of our grandchildren. Remember, our grandchildren NEED us! Step up and Step In – to your grandchildren’s education this school year! Want encouragement and other ideas on how to do that? Attend the only National Conference on Christian Grandparenting live at Shades Mountain Baptist Church October 21-22. Visit www.legacycoalition.com/summit for registration, speaker, and schedule information.
GrandLife Director, Shades Mountain Baptist Church
Grandparent’s Day of Prayer September 12!
Several years ago, the prayer ministry of Christian Grandparenting Network saw the urgency to establish a day for grandparents to unite in prayer and established a Grandparents’ Day of Prayer to coincide with National Grandparents’ Day. The purpose of Grandparents’ Day of Prayer is to raise an awareness of prayer among today’s Christian grandparents. Visit www.christiangrandparenting.com for a list of ways to participate, including a 30-Day Prayer Challenge giving thanks to God for your grandchildren and praying for their new school year.