Don’t Give Up!
5 Tips to Meet Your Fitness Goals
Staying motivated along your fitness journey can be tough after the initial excitement of joining a gym and getting started begins to fade. At the Greater Birmingham YMCA, we completely understand what you may be going through. Perhaps you started out with a plan to come to the Y five days a week, then it dropped to three, and now you’re struggling to find the urge to make it to that group exercise class once a week. Don’t give up! Here are a few ways to stay encouraged as you work to meet your fitness goal.
- Make it Fun. Not everyone enjoys riding a stationary bike
or an elliptical machine. Find an activity or a sport you enjoy and make it part of your routine. At the Y, for instance, you can play basketball, volleyball, wallyball, racquetball, and tennis, just to name a few. Also, with over 500 group exercise classes taught weekly at the Y, there is a class that will suit your ability and interest.
- Set Smaller Goals. Maybe your goal is to lose a certain amount of pounds or to one day run a half-marathon. While those are fantastic aims, they won’t happen overnight. It can be easy to get discouraged if the numbers on the scale aren’t going down or the distances aren’t going up as fast as you’d like. While you’re working on those larger goals, set smaller ones along the way to help you stay driven. For instance, instead of focusing on losing pounds, focus on being active for at least 10-15 minutes every day.
- Keep Your Music List Up To Date. While there may be nothing worse than working out in silence, a close second might be working out to the same songs over and over. Create a list of high-energy songs that can help you get your blood pumping and remember to change out some of the tunes and/or shuffle the order regularly.
- Keep Your Workout Clothes & Gear In View. We all have competing interests in life – families, work, church, etc. – so it can be easy to forget to work in a few minutes of activity each day. Place your favorite fitness outfit on your dresser at night or a pair of dumbbells on the bathroom vanity to give you a visual cue to remember to make your health and wellness a priority.
- Workout with a friend. A fitness buddy is one of the best ways to stay encouraged along your path to better health. It helps you stay accountable and motivated, and you benefit by participating in two-person exercises and friendly competition. You can also save 20 percent off your membership dues at the YMCA of Greater Birmingham as well. Learn how online at ymcabham.org.
– YMCA of Greater Birmingham, www.ymcabham.org