Under the Hood
presented by Franklin Automotive
Spring is one of the prime times for auto maintenance. The first wash and wax on a warm Saturday afternoon is liberating. Winter’s gloom (to say nothing of the dirt and grime) is literally washed away. Take out the gloves and ice scraper and store them ‘til next season. Summer’s not far away! Some preparations now will help ensure that your vacation plans go as smoothly as you envision them now. Franklin Automotive offers the following tips on getting your vehicle ready for summer:
- Read the owner’s manual or ask your service shop about recommended service schedules. You are probably overdue for one.
- Have hard-to-start, rough idling, stalling, etc. corrected before hot weather is here.
- Have the cooling system flushed and refilled according to recommendations for your vehicle. Have the level, condition, and concentration checked periodically.
- If you are not a Do-It-Yourselfer, find a repair facility you trust. I recommend Franklin Automotive!
- The tightness and condition of belts, clamps, and hoses should be checked by a qualified auto technician. They know what to look for.
- Have the air conditioner serviced BEFORE it gets too hot. It never quits working on a cool day!
- Have your oil and filter changed. A repair facility will make sure your used oil is disposed of properly.
- Have your other filters replaced (air, fuel, cabin air, etc.) as recommended.
- Have the condition of your tires checked, including the spare. Always check tire pressure when the tires are cold.
- Inspect all lights and bulbs. Replace as necessary.
- Replace worn wiper blades, and make sure your washer fluid is topped off.
- Stay safe and have fun!
Owner, Franklin Automotive
2880 Acton Road, Birmingham 35243